Sunday, January 11, 2009

A busy weekend



Days off always seem to be so busy but particularly the weekends seeing as the masses are also off. Add in lots of snow and it seems like I get nothing done.

Sadly, another Canadian soldier was killed this past week in Afghanistan. There is a ceremony we have here in Canada each time a soldier is killed where he is flown into Trenton, Ontario then brought by motorcade to Toronto along a portion of Highway 401 which has been renamed the "Highway of Heroes". People line up for miles over top bridges and along the sides of the road to honour the soldier and his family as they pass by. A group of us from work try to make it to as many of these ceremonies as we can where we proudly stand along the police officers as they salute the casket. It's quite moving and certainly the least we can do. So, that's what I did yesterday. I keep hoping it will be the last one but, unfortunately, we all know there will be more.

This is a card I made with some HOTP papers for a guy at work who is quite ill. The stars are from a Christmas card I received and I added some fibres and eyelets to finish it off. I must get my new sewing machine out one of these days to try it out!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed the clip about honoring the fallen heros! Great way for you to spend your day. Thanks for sharing the experience!
Your IL friend